The Best Books Of 2017

One of my goals for 2017 was to read more. To start small, I decided one book a month would be good. Twelve books — no biggie. Or was it?

In the end, I cracked open a total of thirteen books, but I only finished ten. I came in a little under my goal, but I'm happy that I increased the number from the prior year.

What was that number? Good question. I don't know because I didn't keep track in 2016, but it was definitely under ten. My gut tells me it was around 5. 😞


The three I didn't finish consisted of a topic—personal finance—that proved to be too dense for me to read in Portuguese, a book I read in the past and wanted to revisit, and a creative writing book that ended up being about writing fiction novels—not what I was looking for.

Excuses aside, let's take a look at what I did finish.

My Reading List


I tracked everything in a Google Sheet that I updated as I started and finished books. I read most of the books in Kindle format on my smartphone.

Here is the complete list:



One last note, in case you didn't notice already, most of the books were entrepreneurial or personal development titles. Only one fiction title made the list: The Giver in Portuguese—Doador de Memórias.

That was based on a recommendation from Gavin Roy to read books you've read in your first language in the language you're learning. It's a solid strategy because you already have the context of what you're reading even if you don't know all the words or grammar.

Of everything I read, there were a few that stood out above the rest. In no specific order, here are my top picks for the year:

Top Reads of 2017


Traction – Gabriel Weiner & Justin Mares

Focused on the nineteen channels a startup has to leverage growth, it's an in-depth look with tons of examples and case studies to help young businesses hone in on what channels are the best for them to grow.

The main take away for me was the Bullseye strategy.  It's the system Weiner and Mares suggest for ranking the channels that will work best for your business.

Reinvent Yourself – James Altucher


Altucher is a heavyweight from the early days of the Internet. He is a pure hustling entrepreneur that deserves to be as well known as Gary V. 

Reinvent Yourself is a witty compilation of insights that Altucher has taken away from researching the lives of well-known artists, musicians, scientists, authors, and more. He also includes insights from interviews he's conducted over the years for his podcast and writing endeavors.

The theme of the book is all centered around how life is not static, and Altucher gives you a walloping dose of the growth mindset. Page after page, you get examples of how people went against the grain to become great. 

I highly recommend it.

Create. Automate. Accelerate. – Leon Jay


Well known in the Internet entrepreneurial community, Jay delivers myth-busting honesty and a playbook for thriving as an Internet entrepreneur in one book.

His style cuts straight to the point and ensures that you are forced to think about the things most people assume aren't important when they're getting started. Real-life examples, whether from observation or personal experience, Jay ensures that you understand why what he suggests is important and shouldn't be overlooked.

I 100% recommend this if you are or are thinking about becoming a solopreneur.

Rework – Jason Fried & David Hansson


Fried and Hansson wrote this book for anyone who loves to challenge the rules. 

These two take a hard, honest look at what most business management and entrepreneurial resources tell you to do and then shatter all of those assumptions into pieces.

Whats more, it's all first-hand experience. Fried and Hansson have defied all the rules in building and maintaining a successful company on their own terms.

The Breakdown


Looking back, I feel I did pretty well. I'm not reading forty books a year yet, but I'm moving the needle.

In 2018, I have increased my achievement by 50% to complete fifteen books. Considering I didn't finish 23% of the books that I started in 2017, I am going to shoot for 25% over my target.

Reading goal for 2018: read 19 books.

Since New Year's day, I've already started three books. It feels like I'm off to a good start, but only time will tell. I'll be back in a year to report whether or not I get all the way through them, and the other twelve.

Have any book recommendations for me? What about tips for tracking my reading habits? Leave a comment and help me out with your insight.

2 comments:

  1. Heyyy, you are learning portuguese? I found you on the channel of youtube and I have interested to learning and improve my english with you. You're available to teach me? If you want to learn portuguese also I can teach you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E aí Murillo! Desculpa pela demora cara, acabei de ver o seu comentário aqui. Tinha disativado as notificações de novos comentários sem querer. Obrigado por ter vindo aqui ao meu blog. Olha, infelizmente eu não dou aula hoje em dia. Estou trabalhando num outro projeto. Muito obrigado pela oferta, e se não fosse para pessoas que nem você, que ofereceram fazer intercâmbio de línguas comigo, acho que ainda eu não teria atingido o nível de português que tenho. Espero que você ache alguém logo, mas pela sua mensagem parace que você já tem inglês bom. Valeu!

      Delete

Share your thoughts below