Crummy's Top 5 Free Language Learning Tools

I have been moonlighting as a foreign language speaker with one mantra in mind, "Fake it 'til you make it!" As I persist in this goal, to become conversationally fluent in a second language, I continue to try out language learning tools to find a good system. This is a compilation of my current top 5 free language buddies, and I hope that they can help you increase your proficiency, too. Now, the article's title says "language learning tools," but many of them are great tools for improving retention of anything you need or want to remember. Let's check 'em out!

1. Memrise
Based on the science of how our brains create memories, the founders of Memrise have created a system for learning anything you want in an fun and effective way. You find a course, and Memrise offers much more than just language, then you are introduced to the content of the course incrementally, or in chunks. If you are studying language, it usually come with sound so you can repeat the native form.

There is commonly a picture (called a mem) that either the course creator or a user has created attached with the word or phase. These mems help create a memory association in your brain so you recall each item faster. You can make your own mems, which, according to the science, is the most effective way to ensure the word association will stick because it is tailored for you and by going through the process of making a mem the memory of that association between the word/phrase and picture gets embedded deeper in your memory. Basically, you become invovlved in an experience with the content you want to remember.

A clever mem created by user femtyechrome
Also, Memrise includes two ways to assist your motivation. First, it shows you a little plant graphic that represents your new memory. The first time you learn something the graphic plants a seed, followed by stages of the plant growing and blossoming into a flower as you get correct answers (you can see the pink flower in the top center of the picture above). Second, it gives you points for correct answers and tracks your score to compare you with other users. You don't have to check if it doesn't interest you, but anyone with a competitive nature will feel a little extra motivation to persist with lessons and get to the top of the leaderboard.

There is web and a mobile versions for Android and iOS users, and if you use it in both platforms the data syncs seamlessly. You can practice a bit on mobile during a commute or lunch break, then pick up where you left off when you get home and jump on your laptop or desktop. Can you see why I kinda love Memrise?

2. MosaLingua
A little bit new to me, but definitely worth the attention, MosaLingua uses the famous spaced repition system (SRS) to help you learn vocabulary and phrases in your target language. I've talked about SRS before, but if you missed that it is basically just a system that you tell how well you know the content you are studying and it limits your exposure to content based on how well you know it.

The program starts out with the most basic things (numbers, greetings, etc.) but allows you to skip ahead if you are already familiar with that content. They also have a paid version (USD 4.99) that offers much more topics and functions. I have been using the free version for about a short time and I have had a couple of moments when, had this been my major source of learning, I would have paid the five bucks.

For you non-native speakers, MosaLingua also has versions that help you study for TOEIC and TOEFL exams. As frustrating as the tests may be, I think using this app offers a great interactive platform with the perfect dose of memory science to help you hit high marks or improve your score.
MosaLingua has a great set up for some very popular languages
You can check out MosaLingua online, but it only functions as an application. They offer downloadable versions for PC and Mac computers, so it isn't strictly limited to your Android or iOS tablet or phone. The site linked above will direct you to the apps, whether you want it for a desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone.

3. Learning With Texts (LWT)
This fabulous reading program allows you to upload texts from your target language and indicate how well you know the vocabulary from each reading. I originally heard bout this from a friend and language mentor in 2012, then was reintroduced to it in 2014 while trying to follow the Fluent in 3 Months program. I wish I would have stuck with it the first time I'd heard about it.

The downside is that you must identify each word when you start using the program, but after you have input a word, the program will recognize that same word in every text you upload. For example, let's say I uploaded a Spanish story about a cat. After I identify the word "gato" means cat, the program recognizes every appearance of the word "gato" in every text I input. Later, when I upload an unrelated story that contains the word cat, the program recognizes the word and designates the level of comprehension indicated from the past text.

The next step is identifying how well you know the words with a rating of 1-4 or well known. When you designate a word with a 1 it'll turn red, and conversely, when you designate well known the word turns green. So, after we have translated "gato" to cat, we indicate that word is "well known" and then every time it appears in any text, the program highlights the word with green.

If you want to get a visual for what I am describing (because even I think it might be a bit confusing) check here for a video of Benny Lewis describing the program with visuals. Also, if you want to give LWT a try, there is a link in the description below his YouTube video that'll take you straight to it.

4. Anki (Leitner box)
Probably the most popular among the advanced community of language learners, Anki is the figure head for the digitally minded SRS advocate. The Leitner box is essentially the same system in tangible form, with physical notecards and a divided box, of which each divided section indicates how well you know what's on the card and when you need to review that content next.

Visual of a Leitner box, which is what Anki does automatically
Anki is recommended by polyglots and memory trainers because it automatically compiles the content that you need to review and tucks away the stuff you don't. The obvious advantage to the Leitner box is that you don't have to deal with making a physical deck of vocabulary (or whatever else you want to study), making the divided box, or maintaining the schedule of what to review and when. Anki does all of that for you. You make a digital deck and study, the program handles the rest.

However, some people much prefer tangible things to digital form, and therefore to mention that I really recommend Anki without telling you about the Leitner box would be a disservice to someone's personal preferences while using the SRS method. Also, we already learned that brain research shows we increase retention when we create an experience with the content we are learning, so if you like tangible try the Leitner box. On the other hand, that goes for creating the digital decks as well as the physical. Key point: make your own decks!

You can download it for your laptop or desktop, use the app on your Android or iOS device, and access a web version at ankiweb.net.

5. Quizlet
Flashcards are how many of us remember studying in high school and college years. Quizlet takes the flashcard system to another level not only by making it digital, but by offering six different ways for you to review your content after you make your cards. First, it offers four standard ways we would have studied in the past, classic recall of definition and spelling. Then, Quizlet includes two game-style review activities to get you engaged in the content in different ways while increasing the fun aspect of your learning.

I was making cards for my students during the last school year and encouraging them to come to class and show me the results of the scored review modes. Quizlet keeps track of points, and the competitive students really got involved. Of course, you don't have to make your own cards. You can do a search and find cards that others have made and use those. For example, I just search Thai decks instead of creating my own, which I know is a disservice to my extended recall. Eh, better than nothing.
Found a Thai deck, now how she we study?
Quizlet is also available on the web or as a mobile app, and the data syncs seamlessly across platforms. 

Duolingo and honorable mentions
Duolingo skills
Jairet, why didn't you include Duolingo? Does that mean you don't like it?

While Duolingo is an awesome resource (admittedly, it was the first thing I used when I started studying Portuguese), there was a small hurdle that caused me to stop using it.

Duolingo has a formatted process with levels that must be completed sequentially (see right), so you can't jump from one topic to another unless you've already completed the preceding levels. There is an option to pass the skills test, but if you don't pass after 3 tries, you can't take it again and you have to work your way up through all other skills. This is frustrating if you are studying with multiple resource because you might gain skills from other tools and then want to jump ahead with Duolingo.

This actually happened to me because I had failed the shortcut test in Duolingo (I got cocky and tried to jump ahead too soon), then, because I was using a variety of learning tools and advanced with the others, I got stuck having to build through the skills I learned with other apps and resources in Duolingo. I really enjoyed it for awhile, but I stopped using it eventually. I would still recommend it to anyone who wants to start or brush up on a language.

All practice is good practice, so in no way am I saying Duolingo isn't good, I just moved away from using it as much because I found other things that fit my learning habits better. The last thing you want when learning anything is to get frustrated. I do like that it is largely presented in game format and has audio, so you get a fun user interface and the sound of native speakers. I still use it periodically.

Here are the honorable mentions that are fairly new to me but I have enjoyed what little experience I've had:
  • Superflashcard - similar to Quizlet, great for languages and professional exams.
  • HelloTalk - language exchange app, only a mobile device app, but immediately links you with native speakers in the language you want to learn. In my first week, I had over 10 requests to partner with Brazilian Portuguese speakers.
  • italki - great service that connects you with teachers via webcam, using Skype and like services. You can find professional teachers for a more formal private lesson or community tutors (whom generally offer cheaper lessons) to chat with and improve your language skills.
  • Verbling - new to me, but seems like a similar format to italki. They pair you with teachers of your target language for video lessons. One great thing I noticed is Verbling offers open classes, so there are more options than one on one lessons. However, from what I saw, at this point the open classes are only for English and Spanish learners. No doubt that will expand in the future.
  • Ba ba dum - a fun game, has 5 different modes for improving your vocabulary in at least 14 languages. Here's an example of one: 
Ba Ba Dum will teach you what "button" is in Portuguese
All of these websites, apps and programs have more tools and features than I explained in this description. I could bore you to tears with the intimate details, so remember that this is just an encouraging description of what is working for me currently. You are welcome to email me directly or comment below with any questions or requests for more information.

Also, last week Ludovic Chevalier, co founder of Speaky, wrote 8 free online language tools, two of which are actually doubles of mine (the timing is coincidental, as my write up was a well developed draft at the time he posted). If you want some extra resources from someone much more qualified than me, check his article out here.

Lastly, if you just want to pick up a couple of phrases of just about any language you can think of, check this out.

Disclaimer: I get no commissions and have no affiliations with any of the above businesses or linked content. If you decide to use a paid version of something described, I make no monetary gain. The words in this article come from objective observation and not a monetary motivation. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts below