Curiosity did not kill the cat


I understand the logic.

A cat starts doing something out of curiosity, an interest in the unknown outcome of whatever has caught its attention. The implication is that unfortunate conclusion, the death of the cat. 

What if the cat lives? It is a question we don't apply to this old saying enough.
What if the cat finds something new that is really fun and exciting? A new comforting hand to pet its soft fur. A new object to scratch its paws on. Possibly even a delicious snack to feast on. The idea that our curiosities may bring us misfortune is a destructive thought, and I don't really like that. 

Never having left the US, I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know what to think about the place I was going, and this wasn't some short term vacation, I was moving there. I knew that reading can only prepare a person so much, living the realities of what come from all the preparation is much different. I didn't know about exchanging money, and the fact that the airport is the worst place to do so. I had never thought about international transaction fees incurred by ATM transaction and card purchases. I had never taken a taxi ride from someone who didn't speak my language at all. I had never navigated a city whose street names I can't pronounce. I had never bargained for something using a calculator as the sole interpreter of prices negotiated. I had never got on a bus not knowing where it would take me just to see where it would take me. I had never haggled over the price of an international unlock on my smartphone. I had never taught English. And with all of these 'nevers' I was never 'killed.'

There were so many things that I had to just let happen and find solace in the uncertainty of this new life. My curiosity to go see places and experience new cultures brought me joy and perspective that I don't think I could have found at home. My curiosity brought me new friends that helped me think of others more. My curiosity brought me insight to a profession that I wouldn't have found at home. My curiosity continues to bring me things that enhance my life, my relationships, my world view and my happiness.

And so I say, curiosity has done far from kill this cat.

One more cat meme, because ... why not?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome write-up Jairet! Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome words bro. Definitely excited to read what's next Teacher Jai.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts below